- The new Cervelo P4 is not a pretty bike. The P3 took some getting used to as well, but I eventually came to appreciate it. I don't see that happening with the P4. Look's new TT bike, however... hubba hubba.
- The Quarq Cinqo is a compelling alternative to the Powertap. Unlike the hub-based Powertap, the Cinqo replaces the spider on the crankset. Consequently, you can use whatever wheel you like (including a disc wheel). On the other hand, it's not easily transferable to other bikes. The cost is comparable to the new ANT+ compatible Powertap, so I'll have a tough decision ahead of me next season.
- Those first two notes notwithstanding, there seems to be an anti-technology movement shaping up in the bike world. I saw more steel bikes at this year's show, along with normal-looking, non-lycra clothing. Older brands like Bianchi and Masi seem to have recognized this trend and responded with bikes that emphasize their history and classic style.
- There is an amazing array of companies making backpacks, messenger bags, hydration packs, and other such bags. Timbuk2, Chrome, Crumpler, Rickshaw, Dakine, and Ergon are a few I can recall off the top of my head. The one that got my vote (and my money) was Rickshaw - by far, the most thoughtfully designed. I can't wait until they start selling their beercan bandolero strap.
- Electric-assist bikes seem to be popping up all over. I've noticed a few around town, but the next-gen models I saw at Interbike were much more elegant looking. Still, none of the major bike manufacturers seem to have gone for it. Puzzling.
- The Selle Anatomica saddle is the most comfortable saddle I've sat on but not ridden. And it's made in Elkhorn, Wisconsin. I want one.
- Schwinn is offering a 20th-anniversary lugged steel Paramount. And it's made in Waterford, Wisconsin, as it should be.
- Everyone is making a 'cross bike now. Many of them are ridiculously pretty and expensive. Have these people ever ridden a 'cross race?
- Word on the street was that Shimano's new electronic Dura-Ace is impossible to defeat, no matter how poorly you shift.
- Shimano was selling their top-of-the-line road and mountain bike shoes for $100. I might have bought a pair or two had the line not always been over an hour long.
- Rudy Project has a new helmet that is super-light, though it lacks the faux-suede liner of last year's luxury model. They've also got some nice-looking new shades. I got to meet Chris Lupo, the sponsorship coordinator, and thank him for his support of CZ Velo.
Monday, September 29, 2008
Interbike Impressions
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I attended my second Interbike last week. I wasn't nearly as dazzled by all the cool bike stuff as I was last year, but it's still (in my eyes) the world's biggest toy store. Here are a few random thoughts on what I saw.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment